A slushy mix of art and non-art that I use as references for my own art.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Who Knows? Kiki and LB



I am into these french movie background songs right now.

Photobucket

I saw this Kiki Smith exhibit at the Henry Art Gallery in seattle and the only part of it that I really got into was the books. There is this dialogue between sculpture and photography that has been going on for a while now, but the sort of dialogues that were taking place in many of these photographs seemed forced. In the enlargements especially. Smaller snapshots forming a barrier between the floor and the wall worked much better and felt really casual. There is something really raw and unfinished about Kiki that I can't help but like; although for some reason I can't help but continusly compare her to my beloved LB. Louise has a similar rawness but her approach melts together into a polished piece in the end. Kiki does not really do that for me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers