A slushy mix of art and non-art that I use as references for my own art.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Dean Kessmann

On his "Transubstantiation" series:

But why do we need, or at least strongly desire to have the spiritual aspects of our lives undeniably confirmed? Relying on our faith alone is rarely enough. We want proof, or to be even more specific, visual proof. The photographic and digital processes used to capture these images--like science, art, and religion--do not always provide reliable information. Its vision, like ours, is limited. Seeing is not always believing, just as believing should not always require seeing.

This work will not definitively answer any questions of faith. Not knowing their source, one might assume that these images are a series of celestial (heavenly) bodies, extreme magnification of cells, and raw, bloody flesh. Obviously, by making these images of holy wafers saturated in wine, I have not turned them into the body and blood of Christ, nor am I making any such claim. However, a dramatic transformation has taken place. These substances have become something other than what they once were. These are objects for contemplation. They will not provide any undeniable proof, but if given time, they just might help us to answer that which they initially had refused to reveal.

Dean Kessmann


Photobucket

Photobucket

I really love the look of his installation...it is sort of similar to how I want my thesis work to look, a scattering of various sizes of circular prints. [I am getting really sick of edges, why do all photographers work with squares and rectangles when images are naturally projected as circles anyway? It seems silly to me.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers